How to Boost Brain BDNF Levels for Depression Treatment
Fasting and exercise can raise BDNF levels in our brain (which plays a critical role in depression treatment), but this can also be achieved by eating and avoiding certain foods.
What does the latest research on Vitamin D say? Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free newsletter to receive an infographic summary of the main takeaways and Dr. Greger’s recommendations: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe/
If you missed the video where I introduced BDNF, see Fasting to Treat Depression (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fasting-to-treat-depression).
What else can we do to help with depression? See:
• Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Depression (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/anti-inflammatory-diet-for-depression)
• Plant-Based Diets for Improved Mood and Productivity (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/plant-based-diets-for-improved-mood-and-productivity)
• Fish Consumption and Suicide (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fish-consumption-and-suicide)
• Antioxidants and Depression (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/antioxidants-and-depression/)
• Do Antidepressant Drugs Really Work? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-antidepressant-drugs-really-work/)
• Exercise vs. Drugs for Depression (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/exercise-vs-drugs-for-depression)
• Aspartame and the Brain (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/aspartame-and-the-brain/)
• Gut Feelings: Probiotics and Mental Health (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/gut-feelings-probiotics-and-mental-health/)
• Fighting the Blues with Greens? (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/fighting-the-blues-with-greens-mao-inhibitors-in-plants/)
• Best Food for Antidepressant-Induced Sexual Dysfunction (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/Best-Food-for-Antidepressant-induced-Sexual-Dysfunction)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-boost-brain-bdnf-levels-for-depression-treatment and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-boost-brain-bdnf-levels-for-depression-treatment. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages; you can find yours in the video settings.
• Subscribe: https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://nutritionfacts.org/donate
• Podcast : https://nutritionfacts.org/audio
• Facebook: www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: www.instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org
• Books (including the NEW How Not to Diet Cookbook): https://nutritionfacts.org/books
• Shop: https://drgreger.orghttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/TECySdGT_jE/hqdefault.jpg